REORDERING

St Martin's Church in Liskeard is the second largest parish church in Cornwall. The building is a beautiful medieval listed building, with parts dating back to the early 1400s.

We are extremely blessed with our church hall complex, which is used by a host of local groups and clubs. However, it is now so well used that we found that we were turning away people who would like to use it. Meanwhile, whilst open to the public, the church itself stood empty most of the week. The layout of the church, which was predominantly filled with pews, meant there were limited opportunities for our community to make use of it.  In addition, our ancient heating system finally died and needed replacing with a more eco-friendly system to allow the building to be used throughout the week.
 
We applied for and received all the necessary approval to reorder the church to make it much more flexible for community and church use.  As soon as we reopened and rededicated the church we quickly found that these changes have contributed to the creation of one of the largest flexible spaces, and without doubt, the most atmospheric venue available in Liskeard.

As with all large projects like this we needed to raise the necessary finances before the work can start - donations are still be gratefully received and you can be a part of this exciting project by donating online.  We have chosen BT's MyDonate site for these donations, as all of your donations will come to the project, apart from a credit / debit card fee of just a few pence.

Click here to visit St Martin's Church "MyDonate" page and leave an online donation, and include any gift aid by checking the appropriate box.  If you prefer you can send a cheque payable to Liskeard PCC to St Martin's Church Centre, Church Street, Liskeard, PL14 3AQ and write "Church Reordering" on the back. If you are a taxpayer and making a donation by cheque, please download and complete the gift aid declaration.

What did the church reordering involve?
The reordering project involved several phases:

Phase 1
Removing the majority of the pews to provide an open space that can be used for a wide range of community activities. The best pews have been retained and repositioned along the North Wall.  The pews in the Lady Chapel have remained unchanged.  Ensuring the building is kept at a constant comfortable temperature throughout the week through new eco-friendly underfloor heating. This will also help preserve the ancient fabric of the building.

Phase 2
Improving the general facilities, by adding a kitchen, second toilet, crèche area and upgrading the audio visual systems.

Phase 3
Improving security with an upgraded CCTV system.

Phase 4
Creating some more intimate spaces by adding etched glass screening.

How much has this cost and how have you funded it?
We estimated the cost of the entire project to be £462,000. St Martin's Church initially raised £419,000 from church funds, external grants and local fundraising, representing 90% of our target. Further fundraising and donations helped raise the remaining 10%.

How will the new look Church building be used?
We have already had expressions of interest from groups looking to perform concerts and dance classes, and we expect the church to be used for art festivals, flower festivals, pop-up cafes and markets, and possible film shows. Through this increased community use we will also be bringing many more people into this beautiful ancient building.
 
On Sundays, the open spaces and additional facilities will also allow much more scope for new styles of worship services.


A HUGE THANK YOU to all who helped us reach our target! If you haven't visited yet to see how your money was spent, please do pop in for a look... have a wander around the lovely new open space and enjoy a cuppa from the new kitchen!